Travel grants to attend ESOF2012
Dublin, 11th-15th July 2012
PRESENTATION AND CONDITIONS FOR TRAVEL GRANTS
Created by Euroscience, ESOF – Euroscience Open Forum – is the biennial pan-European meeting dedicated to scientific research and innovation. At ESOF meetings leading scientists, researchers, young researchers, journalists, business people, entrepreneurs and innovators, policy makers, science and technology communicators and the general public from all over the world discuss new discoveries and debate the direction that research is taking in the sciences, humanities and social sciences.
Nature Publishing Group (NPG) is a publisher of high impact scientific and medical information in print and online. NPG publishes journals, online databases, and services across the life, physical, chemical and applied sciences and clinical medicine.
NPG has supported ESOF since its very first edition in 2004. Once again, NPG has generously offered to support ESOF by funding travel grants for journalists to attend ESOF2012 in order to increase the impact of ESOF.
2. Who can apply?
— Journalists irrespective of their nationalities and of their media (paper, radio, TV, web). Media accreditation will be required.
To submit an application, please follow the link to http://www.esof.eu/hub/user_session/new
Sign into the ESOF database and click on “Apply for a Scholarship” at the bottom of your profile page. Follow the application procedure.
On submitting the application form for travel grants, you agree to the full acceptance of the rules and to the decision taken by the Selection Committee.
The deadline for submitting an application is the 31st January 2012, 12:00 GMT.
4. Selection Committee and decision
The Selection Committee is:
• Philip Campbell, (Editor at Nature Publishing Group)
• Gail Cardew, (Chair of the ESOF Supervisory Board)
• Ruth Francis, (Head of Press at Nature Publishing Group)
• Carl Johan Sundberg, (Euroscience Vice-President)
The eligibility criteria will mainly be based on the CV assessment and the applicant’s motivation statement in attending ESOF2012.
An email of decision will be sent to all candidates stating whether or not their application has been selected and whether they have secured a grant. (February 2012)
4. Obligations of grantees
• Journalists must confirm by email to firstname.lastname@example.org that they accept the travel grant.
• At ESOF2012, the ESOF Hub will arrange two meetings with the selected journalists so as to promote contact among themselves and contact with the ESOF Hub. Journalists selected will be expected to attend these meetings.
• Journalists selected will be asked to provide post-ESOF2012 a proof of published article and failing that they will be asked to provide a written account of their travel for posting on the ESOF website.
• The expenses will be reimbursed by the ESOF Hub post-ESOF2012 on presentation of receipts up to a maximum total of 750 euros.
• The journalists selected will be asked for feedback following ESOF2012 in order to evaluate the success of the scheme.
For any further information, please contact the ESOF Hub at email@example.com
Euroscience Open Forum