The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), a leading global forest research institute, is accepting applications from early to mid-career journalists in Southeast Asia to attend the residential workshop:“Reporting on Forests in Southeast Asia”. The workshop provides journalists with the rare opportunity to see the inner workings of forestry science, through hands-on experience from the field to the conference table.
Held at the CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia from 30 April – 4 May, 2014 (followed by the 2-day Forests Asia Summit on 5, 6 May), the program will give journalists an opportunity for one-on-one interviews with leading scientists, policy makers and science communicators to explore and understand various issues affecting Southeast Asia’s forests and people including: coastal forests, food security, illegal logging, timber trafficking, livelihoods and climate change.
The program will also include seminars on finding the human story in science, reporting politicized science, understanding a research paper, future social media trends and understanding statistics.
Fellows will gain a better understanding of forestry science research methods, cultivate scientific resources and sharpen their reporting skills through innovative teaching methods and a field visit. Fellows will also attend the two-day Forests Asia Summit, and will return to work with dozens of story ideas they can pursue.
Fellows must have the support of their media organization to participate, with the idea that stories they produce coming out of the Summit will be published in their respective media outlets.
The Fellowship award includes accommodation, airport transfer, meals, tuition and travel support. The applicant should be:
- A working print, radio, TV or online journalist with at least 2 years of reporting experience
- A national of an ASEAN member country
- Interested in forest issues
The application should include:
- The application form
- Your resume/CV
- Three samples of professional work completed in the last two years (PDF, Word, YouTube. Please advise if VHS or DVDs need to be posted).
- Letter of support from your Editor confirming your participation in the Fellowship, stories coming out of the Fellowship and the Forests Asia Summit will be published by your media organization
Click here for th application
Send applications to Michelle Kovacevic at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm GMT, Monday 3 March, 2014.